Facials and Feces

Yes you read correctly, feces. As in poo. I don't particularly like writing about dirty things but this is too funny. My mom was in town so I asked if she would give a facial class to my friends. Earlier that day she has done some laundry and had forgot to put the hose into the sink (yes our washer drains from a hose into a utility sink) or so I thought, so there was some water on the floor, nothing a few towels couldn't fix. I thought nothing of it. I took a bath, she took a shower, friends came, facials started, Nate came home from work headed down stairs for some TV, came up in a fury, mumbled something about having to go buy a shop vac to clean up the mess in basement and stormed of to Home Depot. Meanwhile I am thinking "dude it was maybe a gallon of water, chill!" He returns with a new heavy duty shop vac and rushes to the basement, rushes upstairs to bark at me about not helping and so I go down and then it hits.....my mom didn't forget to put the hose in, our drains are simply backing up! Nate and I worked in a hustle to suck up the flood. I rushed to move boxes and floating laundry out to the backyard. The basement smelled of lavender bubble bath and Tide no big deal. No big deal until the "other"stuff started coming from the drain and we heard the toilets flushing!! Nate ran upstairs and gave no water orders to the girls in mud masks and then we called a plumber. $1200 later we had the roots that had grown into the drain removed, 12 hrs later we had our entire basement sanitized and humming with 12 snail blowers and 3 industrial dehumidifiers. Our basement is back to where we began before the remodel due to the restoration crew. No lovely wool carpet, no organized library/dvd room, so much more work. The funniest thing about the whole day was the dynamic of having women getting facials upstairs all mostly oblivious to the fact that in the basement Nathan and I were swimming in grey and black water. I've always wanted a pool.

No comments: